Shootist and Mixed Ammo Question [DLR]

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Wolfbiter
Novice

Shootist and Mixed Ammo Question [DLR]

#1 Postby Wolfbiter » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:56 pm

Hey all. I have a question for GMs regarding Hexslinging and the Shootist power:

Let's say one of your players has the Shootist ability and has bullets with different powers loaded into the same pistol. The Hexslinger gets into a shootout and wants to fire a specific bullet immediately. How would you handle this?

I was considering two possible options:

1. Being strict, and requiring the Hexslinger to keep track of the bullet order he/she loaded into the cylinder, and to fire them in order.
2. Or, be more flexible and allow the Hexslinger to spend an action first to spin the barrel to the correct bullet.

Would you use one of the options above? Or have any of you tried different approaches? Thanks!

Erolat
Novice

Re: Shootist and Mixed Ammo Question [DLR]

#2 Postby Erolat » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:01 pm

I have gone with option 2. I make him note what bullets he has loaded and can either shoot them in order or take an action to select a specific one.

He claims his next advance will be Speed Loader so I will most likely let him keep them on his belt and just load the shot he wants as part of his free action reload.

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#3 Postby SeeleyOne » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:55 pm

I would let it be a free action to switch to the right place if it is already loaded. That is part of the "cool factor" of having hexslinger bullets that are already loaded. They are kind of expensive PP-wise compared to say, Smite, so might as well give a slight perk. And besides a turn is 6-seconds and it does not take that long to move a cylinder, at most a second or two.
Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

To be evil is to live backwards

Wolfbiter
Novice

#4 Postby Wolfbiter » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:43 pm

SeeleyOne wrote:I would let it be a free action to switch to the right place if it is already loaded. That is part of the "cool factor" of having hexslinger bullets that are already loaded. They are kind of expensive PP-wise compared to say, Smite, so might as well give a slight perk. And besides a turn is 6-seconds and it does not take that long to move a cylinder, at most a second or two.

SeeleyOne, you made a very good point about the time frame of a turn. I tried your suggested option in my group's game last weekend...the situation came up only once, and it didn't seem to cause any problems letting the Hexslinger switch bullets. So I think I'll go with your suggestion of making it a free action for the time being. Thanks!

Jounichi
Legendary

#5 Postby Jounichi » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:47 pm

Wolfbiter wrote:
SeeleyOne wrote:I would let it be a free action to switch to the right place if it is already loaded. That is part of the "cool factor" of having hexslinger bullets that are already loaded. They are kind of expensive PP-wise compared to say, Smite, so might as well give a slight perk. And besides a turn is 6-seconds and it does not take that long to move a cylinder, at most a second or two.

SeeleyOne, you made a very good point about the time frame of a turn. I tried your suggested option in my group's game last weekend...the situation came up only once, and it didn't seem to cause any problems letting the Hexslinger switch bullets. So I think I'll go with your suggestion of making it a free action for the time being. Thanks!

But I would say the hexslinger probably needs two hands to rotate the cylinder to where he needs it to be, which can potentially be limiting. It's not quite as involved as reloading, but it's not quick, either. At my table I'd probably make it a -1 penalty.

And if you really wanted to shoot (pun intended) for realism, most gunslingers of the era kept one chamber in the cylinder empty to avoid accidental misfires while in the holster.
"Rush not in to fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail." -Yoda
"Wise man once say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'" -Michelangelo

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#6 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Jounichi wrote:And if you really wanted to shoot (pun intended) for realism, most gunslingers of the era kept one chamber in the cylinder empty to avoid accidental misfires while in the holster.

Most gunslingers of the era didn't infuse their weapons with magic. :wink:
Only so much realism in the Weird West, especially when dealing with mojo.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#7 Postby SeeleyOne » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:09 pm

Oh yeah, good catch on the two hands. I was thinking that, too, but I did not say it.
Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

corwyn
Novice

#8 Postby corwyn » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:32 am

Just as a point of contention, it really would not require two hands to rotate the cylinder. I am assuming (yeah I know) that a hex slinger is fairly proficient at handling his weapon. We have all seen in the movies, the hero (or villain) roll the cylinder across his arm. I wouldn't think it would be difficult for a shootist to know exactly how many 'clicks' to get to the round needed and be practiced enough to pull it off. Plus definite cool factor points. Now if the shootist picked a winchester rifle for his chosen weapon, he would be pretty much SOL. I suspect, though I have not tried it, that it wouldnt be too hard to rotate the cylinder with either the thumb or the forefinger of the hand holding the weapon. Might be awkward and not nearly as cool looking as the sleeve roll. Just my thoughts on it.

Corwyn

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#9 Postby SeeleyOne » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:31 pm

The Quickdraw edge could be used for that. Also, being able to switch bullets is a feature of having a revolver. A repeating rifle is nice, but you cannot switch bullets around unless you have some sort of enchantment on the internal magazine (or whatever the ammunition supply is held in).

Jounichi
Legendary

#10 Postby Jounichi » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:29 pm

corwyn wrote:Just as a point of contention, it really would not require two hands to rotate the cylinder. I am assuming (yeah I know) that a hex slinger is fairly proficient at handling his weapon. We have all seen in the movies, the hero (or villain) roll the cylinder across his arm. I wouldn't think it would be difficult for a shootist to know exactly how many 'clicks' to get to the round needed and be practiced enough to pull it off. Plus definite cool factor points. Now if the shootist picked a winchester rifle for his chosen weapon, he would be pretty much SOL. I suspect, though I have not tried it, that it wouldnt be too hard to rotate the cylinder with either the thumb or the forefinger of the hand holding the weapon. Might be awkward and not nearly as cool looking as the sleeve roll. Just my thoughts on it.

Corwyn

I hadn't initially considered that, but as a counterpoint just how many pistols of the day could freely rotate their cylinders with the gate closed? I'm fully conceding my limited experience with revolvers here.
"Rush not in to fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail." -Yoda

"Wise man once say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'" -Michelangelo

corwyn
Novice

#11 Postby corwyn » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:27 am

The only one that I can speak with authority on is the 1873 Colt SAA Peacemaker. The cylinder will spin at half cock. I would have to do some research to find out for other period revolvers. On the other hand, the peacemaker is probably one of the more commonly used guns in the game.

Should I have time to investigate I will let you know.

Corwyn

Jounichi
Legendary

#12 Postby Jounichi » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:32 am

corwyn wrote:The only one that I can speak with authority on is the 1873 Colt SAA Peacemaker. The cylinder will spin at half cock. I would have to do some research to find out for other period revolvers. On the other hand, the peacemaker is probably one of the more commonly used guns in the game.

Should I have time to investigate I will let you know.

Corwyn

Most of the later colts should then, too. Well, maybe not the double-actions. The M1877 was prone to breaking and turning into single-action revolvers. Still Jesse James' favored sidearm, however. I'm not sure about the M1878 Frontier.

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”