[Classic] Bounty Points vs Fate Chips (House Rules)

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

GregAlso
Novice

[Classic] Bounty Points vs Fate Chips (House Rules)

#1 Postby GregAlso » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:30 pm

As I remember, in the earlier edition of Classic Bounty Points were separated from your Fate. You'd earn bounty points and not convert Fate Chips. I may be remembering this wrong. I have two Posses playing classic right now and everyone's biggest complaint about the system is that their experience is tied to their fate. I can see their point and was considering creating a house rule about this but wanted some input from other Marshals about what problems I might encounter.

Proposed Rule Change:

A) Award bounty points instead of fate Chips for tasks completed in adventure. White Chip= 1 Bounty Point; Red Chip= 2 Bounty Points; Blue Chip= 3 Bounty Points. Legend Chips are still added to the pot as normal.

B) Reduce the amount of Fate Chips each player can horde from 10 to 5. This would exclude Legend Chips. Each player could have 5 chips (white, red, or blue) and however many legend Chips they randomly received.

C) All Legend Chip abilities remain unchanged except they can no longer be traded in for 4 Bounty Points. (No big loss here as this was likely the stupidest use of them anyway.)

D) Extra Fate Chips, those above the 5 limit, that must be discarded gain characters no additional benefit. (I'm really not sure how to handle this part, so, I chose not to. :D )

E) Players only draw 2 Fate Chips at the beginning of each session and don't have to draw if they don't want to. Luck o' the Irish players must redraw their extra Fate chip each session.

Ok, what have I missed? What do you think? What issues may arise? I'd really appreciate your collective experience on this. Thanks in advance.

professor_q
Seasoned

Re: [Classic] Bounty Points vs Fate Chips (House Rules)

#2 Postby professor_q » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:15 am

I have a Marshal who doesn't like keeping Fate Chips and BP as the same, and he tried separating them just as you're doing.

The issue we ran into is that people started playing more recklessly, essentially using the Fate Chips as no consequences wound blockers. Without the BP cost associated with them fate chips are mighty powerful.

Ultimately after discussing alternatives we completely changed how fate chips worked all together. It was something like White chips added +1 to any roll, Red +2, and blue +3.

This is obviously a severe nerf from their normal state, but we thought it was more in line with them not having any cost attached to them in the form of BP.

However he let Knacks and powers like the Blessed's consecration spell work normally, which may be pretty powerful anyway.

I personally like to use the basic rules myself, but I can understand being worried about some players not getting the right BP award for character growth, or players never using fate chips for their powers because it essentially costs them exp.

But the Fate Chips are definitely balanced with that in mind.

GregAlso
Novice

#3 Postby GregAlso » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Thank you for the reply and the insight. I have a couple of players who really don't like the link of Bounty and Fate. So, I'm going to go ahead and try this proposal, but based on your experience I'm going to nerf the damage protection aspect of the fate chip a bit. If the player spends their fate chip to negate damage then they have to make a fair(5) vigor check for the chip to actually protect the user. I may adjust this TN based on source of damage or overall situation. I know that isn't much but it adds an element of the player not knowing the chip will work as they desire.

GregAlso
Novice

#4 Postby GregAlso » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:59 pm

I think I'll also still let them trade in their fate Chips for 0.5 Bounty Points each, no matter the type of chip. Except for Legend Chips, those will be worth 4 Bounty Points instead. This way there is still some minor cost to each chip.

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”