Medicine: General vs. Medicine Surgery

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Rayhemphill
Novice

Medicine: General vs. Medicine Surgery

#1 Postby Rayhemphill » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:25 am

Good morning. My friends and I are playing classic Deadlands, 2nd edition. Our question is for the medicine skill. In order to get Surgery, one must have a rank in General. General heals the first two wound levels; Surgery heals higher level wound levels. So the question is two fold:
1- Does Surgery only heal higher level wounds, necessitating General to heal lower level wounds?
OR
2- Does Surgery heal any wound level? Since it can heal higher level wounds, it makes sense that the skill can heal everything below it too. But that then takes away from the usefulness of the General skill.

Thank you in advance!

Ray

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Medicine: General vs. Medicine Surgery

#2 Postby Clint » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:10 am

Rayhemphill wrote:Good morning. My friends and I are playing classic Deadlands, 2nd edition. Our question is for the medicine skill. In order to get Surgery, one must have a rank in General. General heals the first two wound levels; Surgery heals higher level wound levels. So the question is two fold:
1- Does Surgery only heal higher level wounds, necessitating General to heal lower level wounds?
OR
2- Does Surgery heal any wound level? Since it can heal higher level wounds, it makes sense that the skill can heal everything below it too. But that then takes away from the usefulness of the General skill.

The General concentration is used for any wounds up to Heavy and the Surgery one for Serious or Critical.

Considering Light and Heavy Wounds are decribed as "Light wounds are bruises, shallow but irritating cuts, and muscle strains. They’re painful but not life-threatening. Heavy wounds are sprains, deep but nonthreatening cuts, or multiple bruises to sensitive places," none of those are situations where a knowledge of surgery ("formal training in cutting people open") really helps.

It's possible I suppose to have a character with a high aptitude in Surgery and just a 1 in General in order to save 2 points, but it hardly seems worth it (especially since it would end up costing more to match Surgery later).
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”