(DLR) Hindrance Interaction

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

MasonClark
Novice

(DLR) Hindrance Interaction

#1 Postby MasonClark » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:43 pm

Hi everyone. First post with a bit of a question.

We just started Deadlands Reloaded not to long ago, and my character picked up the Phobia (Major) Hindrance during play (Guts roll upon encountering the Walking Dead). I'm trying to think of the best way to play this going forward. The character has both the Overconfident and Loyal hindrances already, so having him suddenly turn tail and abandon his friends in a fight makes very little sense. Instead, the way I have been playing it so-far is that his fear drives him to act even more rash.. Out of combat, he is paranoid that anyone he kills is going to return from the dead and attack him in the night (something of a problem for a gunfighter and former soldier), and in combat he has been charging into melee when it's not the best plan, making wild attacks when he shouldn't, and just generally making bad decisions.

Does this seem like a reasonable way to play this combination of Hindrances? My inspiration for playing him this way is actually based a bit off the stories of people scared of things like spiders, and reacting in hilariously over the top ways (such as trying to kill a spider with hairspray and a match and burning down you're house).

SteelDraco
Seasoned

Re: (DLR) Hindrance Interaction

#2 Postby SteelDraco » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:04 am

It could also lead to massive guilt if his phobia causes him to run away and abandon his friends. However, I think your way of doing it is reasonable, as long as you remember that actions near the source of your phobia have a pretty significant penalty. That can be reflecting your poorly-thought-out actions, too.

MasonClark
Novice

#3 Postby MasonClark » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:26 am

Yeah, that -4 is brutal. I generally need to Ace or spend a benny to score a hit. I'm playing a "Jack of all trades" type character, with a Saber in one hand and a LeMat in the other (Ambidextrous), I'm not as good in melee as the dedicated melee character (Saux Native with a spear), or as good a Gunfighter as the dedicated Gunslinger, but I generally support them both. When I get sidelined by the -4, things can go sideways quick.

I have been playing up the "Ya ain't supposed to have ta kill a man twice! It just ain't right!" Which has been a lot of fun.

Brickulos
Veteran

#4 Postby Brickulos » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:57 am

MasonClark wrote:Yeah, that -4 is brutal. I generally need to Ace or spend a benny to score a hit. I'm playing a "Jack of all trades" type character, with a Saber in one hand and a LeMat in the other (Ambidextrous), I'm not as good in melee as the dedicated melee character (Saux Native with a spear), or as good a Gunfighter as the dedicated Gunslinger, but I generally support them both. When I get sidelined by the -4, things can go sideways quick.

I have been playing up the "Ya ain't supposed to have ta kill a man twice! It just ain't right!" Which has been a lot of fun.

Wait, you have a phobia of the Walkin' Dead? That's a very reasonable fear. Phobia is supposed to make you afraid of something unreasonable like tight spaces or needles.

Jounichi
Legendary

#5 Postby Jounichi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:03 am

Brickulos wrote:
MasonClark wrote:Yeah, that -4 is brutal. I generally need to Ace or spend a benny to score a hit. I'm playing a "Jack of all trades" type character, with a Saber in one hand and a LeMat in the other (Ambidextrous), I'm not as good in melee as the dedicated melee character (Saux Native with a spear), or as good a Gunfighter as the dedicated Gunslinger, but I generally support them both. When I get sidelined by the -4, things can go sideways quick.

Wait, you have a phobia of the Walkin' Dead? That's a very reasonable fear. Phobia is supposed to make you afraid of something unreasonable like tight spaces or needles.

Agreed. There should have been something about the zombie or attack that set them off. Maybe they were missing teeth, or had a gold one, or their hair was done up a certain way.

I had a PC who failed his fear check against a minotaur and developed a fear of anything with horns that could gore them. It didn't matter that he never got hit.
"Rush not in to fights. Long is the war. Only by surviving it, will you prevail." -Yoda
"Wise man once say, 'forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.'" -Michelangelo

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#6 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:05 pm

Some phobias from my various Deadlands games:
Billowing Curtains
Flatware (fork, knife, spoon, plates, etc.)
Jars of glowing fluid
Firelight reflecting off stone
Train tunnels
... and many more.

The goal is to have the phobia be innocuous and harmless, but associated with the scene that generated the phobia. Unnatural monsters are supposed to be scary, fear is a rational response. Phobias are irrational fears that don't make sense; acquired phobias only make sense when you have the context they appeared in.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

MasonClark
Novice

#7 Postby MasonClark » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:51 pm

Yeah, it was picked up during play. We are still new new too the system, so Phobias should be more specific than, say "Walking Dead"? In this case it was someone I had already killed in a duel that came back again. I'll talk to the martial about it, we were sitting around the campfire, with a heard of spooked cattle making noise, perhaps that would be more fitting?

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#8 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:00 pm

Being afraid of the walkin' dead is a sane and rational response.
Phobias are irrational.

A phobia of killing foes, because they'll come back to get vengeance, is pretty cool. A pain in the neck, but cool.
A phobia of dueling could be as interesting and less restrictive.
A phobia of spooked cattle is a little lame but fits what you've described.
Maybe a phobia of coffee? Say the characters were brewing a pot for the evening when the dead man came back, and now his brain associates coffee with vengeful revenants. Possibly whatever the characters were talking about ("Don't mention migrating birds. That's when the dead show up for revenge").
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”